Create the key pair ( private key and certificate signing request ) :
Within the \xampp\apache\ folder is a batch file called
makecert.bat. Run this file and enter the required information. ( Note: Not all fields are mandatory. )
- DO NOT Provide a pass phrase for your key. It will just make things more complicated if you forget it.
- Enter a country code. This will typically be GB
- Enter a province name. This will typically be something like England
- Enter your city name. This can be anything, such as London
- Enter your company name. This might be something like Comodo CA Ltd
- You can leave the Organizational unit blank if you like. Or simply enter IT.
- The common name is your domain domain for which you are applying the certificate. It is something like secure.comodo.com
- Enter in a general contact e-mail address here, typically something like firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can leave the challenge password blank
- You can leave the optional company name blank
XAMPP has now copied the relevant files into folders in the \xampp\apache\conf\ folder. You will need to access the files stored in these folders when you submit your certificate signing request to the Certification Authority.
Configuring your Certificate :
You will receive two files from COMODO if you have chosen the web server software as 'Apache and mod_ssl'. Those files will be likely in these names 'yourDomainName.crt' and 'yourDomainName.ca-bundle'. Put these two files in \xampp\apache\conf\ssl.crt\ folder.
1. Open the config file at
\xampp\apache\conf\extra\httpd-ssl.conf . Find the following directives and assign the correct file paths of the new certificate, ca-bundle and the private key.
2. Save the changes and restart Apache.
3. Verify the installation using our SSL Analyzer