Certificate Installation: Microsoft IIS 5.x & 6.x
Installing your SSL Certificate on Microsoft IIS 5.x / 6.x
Note: Please have a copy of your SSL certificate handy. This will either be your_domain.crt or your_domain.cer as this file will be used during the installation process.
Typically, CER files contain the: Root, Intermediate and Domain Certificate all rolled into one whereas, CRT is just the certificate.
- Open up the Control Panel and open Administrative Tools.
Note: Some versions of Windows Adminstrative Tools can be found on the Start Menu under All Programs.
- Double-click Internet Services Manager.
Note:Some version of Windows call this: Internet Information Services.
- Right-Click on the website and left-click on Properties
- Click on the Directory Security Tab.
- Click Server Certificate. The following wizard will appear:
- Choose to Process the Pending Request and Install the Certificate and then click Next.
- Enter the location or browse to the location of the SSL Certificate file and then click Next.
- Read the summary screen to be sure that you are processing the correct certificate and then click Next.
- You will see a confirmation screen. When you have read this information, click Next.
- Stop and Start the appropriate website.
- You now have an SSL certificate installed for use on IIS.
Note: If you have received individual CRT files and not a CER file please follow our related articles section below to install the Root and Intermediate(s).
- Root and Intermediate Certificate installation via MMC
- Which is Root? Which is Intermediate?