CSR Generation: Microsoft IIS 7.x
Posted by - NA -, Last modified by Support Team Lead - FL on July 13 2016 16:28
- Note As an alternative to the manual instructions on this page, Comodo offers a free utility which will help you generate a CSR, submit it to Comodo and then automatically install your certificate on your IIS website. Click here to find out more.
Generating a CSR on IIS 7.x
- Click Start.
- Select Administrative Tools.
- Start Internet Services Manager.
- Click Server Name.
- Select "Actions" menu (on the right), click on "Create Certificate Request."
- This will open the Request Certificate wizard.
- In the "Distinguished Name Properties" window, enter the information as follows:
- The Common Name field should be the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) or the web address for which you plan to use your IIS SSL Certificate. You will need to insure that the common name submitted in the CSR is the correct domain name / FQDN that you intend to use the certificate for. For wildcard SSL certificates the common name should contain at least one asterisks (*) e.g. *.comodo.com,*.instantssl.com,etc
- Enter Organisation and Organisation Unit, these are your company name and department respectively.
- Enter your City/locality, State/province and Country/region.
- In the "Cryptographic Service Provider Properties" window, Leave Cryptographic Service provider Default (Microsoft RSA SChannel Cryptographic Provider) Change the Bit Length to (2048) then Click Next.
- Enter a filename and location to save your CSR. You will need this CSR to enroll for your IIS SSL Certificate.
- Your new CSR is now contained within the file c:\certreq.txt
- When you make your application, make sure you include the CSR in its entirety into the appropriate section of the enrollment form - including
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----to-----END CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----
- Click Next
- Confirm your details in the enrollment form
To save your private key:
- Go to: Certificates snap in in the MMC
- Select Requests
- Select All tasks
- Select Export
We recommend that you make a note of your password and backup your key as these are known only to you, so if you loose them we can't help! A floppy diskette or other removable media is recommended for your backup files. ** please note that this last step is not required but is recommended if you intend to make any changes to the site.